Project Update

Last Monday I had a list of projects that I wanted to complete. The week flew by, and I felt I would never get anything accomplished. On Saturday, I worked on several of the projects, while my husband worked on getting some areas ready for planting grass. The plan was….divide and conquer.

My chief focus of work on Saturday was to get the corn planted. I have noted in past years, that if I wait too long to plant the corn, it tends to have more problems with worms eating the ends of the ears. Pests have their own cycles of development from larva to adults. If you can learn to plant during times the pests are not in a stage for eating crops, you will need less pest control intervention.

The area that I chose to plant the corn in has never been planted to  a crop. This area contains blueberry bushes, an apple tree, peach tree, two fig trees, and a small chicken lot. I had planted one lemon balm plant years ago and the lemon balm took over the area.

Lemon balm and weed overgrowth.

Lemon balm and weed overgrowth.

The trellis was placed in this area, several years ago, for blackberry and raspberry plants to trail on. The lemon balm and weeds choked out those berry plants.

I tilled the area and had been working to clear it off over several weeks. We finally took off a chain link panel at the back of the area so I could get the tractor in for deeper tilling.

Chain link fence removed for better tilling.

Chain link fence removed for better tilling.

The tractor cleared more of the weeds and overgrowth of lemon balm.

The tractor cleared more of the weeds and overgrowth of lemon balm.

I then took my small rototiller back in for the final clearing.

Area needing more tilling.

Area needing more tilling.

Area under peach tree that needed more tilling.

Area under peach tree that needed more tilling.

Under the peach tree was a large pot with a dwarf peach tree that I have had for years. It has never had any fruit. I removed it from the container and planted it in the ground.

The peach tree already looks better in the ground.

The peach tree already looks better in the ground.

I placed some old landscape fabric around it to prevent weed growth until we can get another load of mulch to put around this tree.

I tilled the area, over and over again, and below are the final pictures of the weed free soil.

Same area where we had removed the chain link section.

Same area where we had removed the chain link section. The section was replaced in this picture.

Area under peach tree.

Area under peach tree.

We replaced the chain link section and I got the corn planted. I also planted more blackberry and raspberry plants in front of the trellis and laid down landscape fabric. This area will look much better when we get a load of mulch applied over the fabric.

Berry plants in front of trellis with landscape fabric.

Berry plants in front of trellis with landscape fabric.

There is still a lot of work to do in this area, but it is coming together. I moved the smaller of the two fig trees to the back trellis so it would not be in the way for planting corn or other future crops.

It is a load off my plate to be finished with this area for a little while so I can concentrate on the main garden. If you have big projects like this to complete, hang in there. Do what you can, a little at a time, and you will surprise yourself one day and actually get it completed.

Advertisements

Plant a Seed. Leave a Comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s