In recent weeks we were able to have a fence installed to train our grapevines on. Several minor problems came to light when the fence was installed by professionals in a straight line. Two of the grapevines were not in line with the fence and one was run over by equipment and destroyed.
This morning I moved two of the grapevines and planted a replacement for the one that had been killed. I am pretty sure this is not the time of year to be moving grapevines, especially since the leaves have just started to appear, but I took my chances and began.
I moved the largest vine first and was able to get some of its thicker roots.
Once I had dug the hole for this grapevine, I anchored it to the fence with cable ties to hold it in the right position and for future training of the limbs. I added a garden soil with fertilizer to the bottom of the hole to give it a boost and make it easy for the roots to spread out.
I dug two more holes. The roots from the other grapevines and some nearby trees made it a more difficult task than I had imagined.
The next grapevine was smaller and easier to dig up.
Of course the easiest of all is to buy them new.
Now all my grapevines line up with the fence.
After lunch I will add mulch to the area. Come back Monday for a before and after post. It is amazing to see the difference from the original metal trellis to the new fencing.
As always, I hope to show the improvements we have made just in case it is something you have been considering. That way you can decide if the changes would be worth implementing in your garden.
Have a great weekend!